Bilingual Family Support Specialist
Submitted by Options and Advocacy HUG Program
Under the supervision of the Helping Us Grow Prevention Initiative Program Manager, the Family Support Specialist (FSS) will utilize the Parents as Teachers (PAT) curriculum to develop strong working relationships with families that will assist families in having a better understanding of child development, improve parent-child interactions and strengthen family well-being.
The FSS will work with families utilizing the PAT initial learning visits, will initiate goal development and will develop transition plans that secure families’ involvement in their community; will link children and families to the necessary services and supports; will provide referrals to Early Intervention when appropriate and work cooperatively with EI providers, Head Start and school district personnel. The Helping Us Grow Prevention Initiative Family Support Specialist will have significant travel throughout McHenry County, with periodic out of county meetings/trainings.
This is a grant funded position, the duties and/or requirements of the position may be modified as required by the funding source.
Work Hours: 37.5 hours per week (1.0 FTE) or unless otherwise specified in individual personnel file; Occasional night and/or weekend work
Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in a related Human Services field, emphasis on Child Development or Education
• Knowledge and understanding of child development and family dynamics
• Experience with children 0-3 years old and families preferred
• Successful completion of Parents As Teachers training and applicable trainings as assigned
• Successful completion of a criminal background check
• Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English
• Bilingual Spanish required